Join The Stony Brook School for the 2023/2024 School Year!
Established in 1922, The Stony Brook School is a co-ed, Christian, college preparatory (grades 7-12) boarding and day school situated on a beautiful 55-acre campus on the north shore of Long Island in New York. The Stony Brook School is known around the world as an institution that prizes both academic rigor and authentic Christian faith. With talented students from around the country and around the globe coming to us from a variety of faith backgrounds, potentially world-changing ministry opportunities abound.
The Stony Brook School is seeking an experienced and innovative educator to teach Mathematics beginning mid-fall semester 2023. This position has 2 sections of Algebra I and 3 sections of Algebra II Honors but is flexible in the courseload.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a Christian academic institution as a member of a talented and dedicated faculty. All candidates should have a demonstrable Christian commitment and an educational philosophy that is consistent with The Stony Brook School's mission statement.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Education, or a related field, with a master's degree strongly preferred
- High energy, high career ambition, and strong ability to connect with teenagers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Eagerness to serve in a faith-based learning environment that emphasizes faithful Christian scholarship and character formation
- Proficiency with technology and a desire to incorporate technology into the classroom
- Ability to differentiate instruction effectively in block periods
- Experience working as part of a collaborative team of teachers
- Ability to interact professionally with parents and school community members
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development and lifelong learning
- Desire to contribute to various aspects of school life (advisor, dorm parent, coach, club sponsor)
- Be able to teach standard High School math courses with direct experience teaching Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and/or Algebra 2 Honors.
In addition to the typical teaching load, Stony Brook faculty members contribute to all aspects of boarding school life, including evening and weekend supervisory duties, coaching, chaperoning, proctoring study halls, and overseeing meals. The Stony Brook School particularly seeks candidates who are enthusiastic about possibly living in a dormitory apartment and providing residential life leadership.
What is it like to work for a boarding school?
At The Stony Brook School, we are a community. We are educators passionate about our mission and impacting young lives; lifelong learners and we build lifelong friendships. Imagine walking to work and having lunch with your family; perhaps you will join the Ultimate Frisbee team; workout in our world class gym or take swim lessons - all this and so much more is right on campus and just a short walk from your front door!
Beyond our mission, we also offer a great place to live and amazing benefits! SBS is located on the beautiful North Shore of Long Island just 1 hour east of New York City, and all the Culture the Big Apple has to offer.
This position may come with housing. Faculty benefits include free on-campus housing, meals while school is in session, and SBS fully pays the premiums for high quality healthcare (medical, dental, vision) for faculty and their eligible dependents. Tuition remission for faculty children is also available.
The benefits of working and living on campus extend to our families who join faculty for meals, activities, worship, and fun. And, we offer full tuition remission for the children of faculty.
Pay Scale: $33,000 to $66,300 exclusive of excellent health insurance (with no premiums) provided for all full-time faculty and housing and utilities paid for residential faculty.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply at https://www.sbs.org/careers/
The Stony Brook School is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at The Stony Brook School are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, national origin, age, citizenship, genetic predisposition, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.