High School Science & Math Teacher
Highlands Latin School Indianapolis is a private JK-12th grade classical Christian school operating on two campuses in Carmel, Indiana. Our East Campus is a 3-day program for the JK-4th elementary grades and our West Campus is a 4-day program for 5-12th middle and high school grades.
HLS Indy is seeking a High School science and math instructor to teach courses in Algebra II Geometry, Pre-Calculus, AP Calculus and Advanced Physics. This is a full-time salaried position with a 9 month work schedule based on standard school hours of operation between 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. He or she will also assist with general student supervision and oversight of students during the day and provide faculty leadership in the school’s House Program. The role of High School Math/Science teacher will report to the assistant principal.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participate as a member of the Math/Science team to develop curriculum and advance programs in accord with the school’s goals
- Demonstrate an understanding and mastery of central course concepts and effectively transmit this knowledge to students in a meaningful way
- Prepare lesson plans for each course of study
- Plan, present, and instruct students on course content
- Facilitate a positive disciplined learning environment in the classroom through the use of established routines and procedures
- Collaborate with the assistant principal & principal concerning student disciplinary issues
- Use formal and informal assessment strategies to evaluate student achievement
- Record and manage the student electronic gradebook
- Promote and maintain a positive and effective school climate by ensuring that all interactions with staff, students, parents and the public at large are prompt, friendly, and supportive
- Listening and interacting effectively with students, parents, colleagues, leadership, and respecting differing opinions
- Perform general assigned duties to meet the day-to-day operations of the school; i.e. arrival/dismissal, lunchroom supervision, study hall monitor
- Implement and maintain prescribed school security and emergency procedures
- Participate in required professional development activities
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in elementary education, mathematics, science or related field of study
- Indiana teacher’s license or willingness to pursue licensure
- Ability to lead and communicate effectively with students and parents
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment and prudent decision making
- Skills in classroom management and lesson plan preparation
- Takes personal responsibility for professional results and seeks opportunities for feedback
- Strong Christian faith and agreement with school’s faith statement, the Apostle’s Creed
- Adheres to the virtues we aim to teach our students: integrity, humility, gratitude, compassion, perseverance
- Embrace the core tenets of a classical liberal arts education
Compensation, Benefits and Hiring:
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits offered for full time employment include health care stipend, personal days, paid holidays and tuition discount for children enrolled at HLS. All employees are required to pass a background check.
Applicants should submit the following information in a single email to Mrs. Judie Huston, Principal; firstname.lastname@example.org :
- A letter of application addressing the following;
- How did you learn about Highlands Latin School Indianapolis
- Provide your educational background and degrees.
- Provide information on significant prior experiences and accomplishments.
- Statement of your educational philosophy (500 words or less)
- Three professional or academic references that include an email address and phone number for each reference.