Granite Classical Tutorials is looking for a new Head of Tutorial - could it be you?
We are a Classical Christian hybrid homeschooling tutorial located in Columbia, Maryland, serving nearly 160 students from kindergarten through 12th grade. Founded in September 2000, Granite exists to come alongside parents who wish to provide their children with Christ-centered, rigorous classical education.
Granite meets two days a week, on Mondays and Wednesdays, for classroom instruction, but our curriculum covers all five days of the week for homeschooling families.
Granite’s students have gone on to top-tier colleges and universities, military service academies and careers. Our program is ranked nationally by the Classical Learning Test, finishing in the Top 20 for all classical Christian programs last year.
We are looking for someone to lead our dedicated team of administrators and tutors in a full-time role as head of tutorial.
An ideal candidate would have a passion for classical Christian education, strong administrative skills, and a love for student excellence. A full job description is below.
If this sounds to you like an exciting opportunity, please send inquiries and/or a resume and cover letter to the GCT Board of Directors: email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Granite Classical Tutorials
Head of Tutorial Job Description
The Head of Tutorial has overall responsibility for managing school operations as well as for the academic quality and institutional strength of Granite Classical Tutorials. In addition, the Head of Tutorial is the lead spokesperson for the Tutorial locally, regionally, and nationally. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Head of Tutorial has responsibility for implementing and administering policies, plans, and programs determined in partnership with the Board. The Head of Tutorial oversees and evaluates operational and organizational procedures, supervises and collaborates with personnel, and coordinates programs for staff, students, and parents of Granite Classical Tutorials.
This would be a full-time position, with an expectation of 40-hours per week during the school year, and approximately 25-30 hours per week in the summer. We also offer work-from-home flexibility on non-school days (Granite meets on Mondays and Wednesdays).
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Demonstrating loyalty to Granite Classical Tutorials and support of its mission;
- Serving as the public face of Granite, taking the lead role in representing Granite to local, regional, and national Classical Christian and homeschool organizations;
- Maintaining high visibility within the Tutorial and the Granite community by periodically visiting classrooms, attending Classical Christian education or homeschool conferences and other meetings as appropriate, attending Board meetings, and attending Granite functions;
- Providing regular communication to the Board, both through attendance of board meetings and by submitting written reports;
- Establishing and maintaining open lines of communication with students, parents, tutors, and staff concerning students’ academic, social, and behavioral progress;
- Leading, supporting, and encouraging staff, especially tutors, in carrying out their responsibilities, listening and responding to concerns, mediating grievances, and facilitating cooperation and collaboration among staff members;
- Attending information meetings with parents of prospective students; and
- Overseeing social media presence and tutorial promotion within the community;
Operations, Management and Planning
- Managing the Tutorial on a day-to-day basis, including through a team of administrators who report to the Head of Tutorial;
- Overseeing and assisting with all aspects of day-to-day, annual, and long-term financial operations, including preparation of annual budget and tuition proposals for approval by the Board;
- Overseeing and assisting in developing, implementing, and evaluating all educational programs;
- Facilitating the articulation of strategic plans, raising funds to support the plans, and ensuring appropriate execution of the plans, in conjunction with the Board;
- Overseeing recruitment and retention efforts;
- Participating in the preparation and implementation of promotional and marketing materials;
- Interacting with the building landlord regarding day-to-day operational items and facility maintenance;
- Reviewing and implementing appropriate health, safety and security measures; and
- Overseeing the disciplinary program of Granite in accordance with Granite’s handbooks, contracts, and policies.
- Exercising responsibility and authority for personnel decisions (recruitment, hiring, development, and termination) conducted in collaboration with the administrative team and/or the board, as appropriate;
- Hiring and nurturing a strong administrative team; and
- Promoting an internal organization that permits effective communication, both up and down.
Relationship with Granite Families
- Developing and maintaining relationships with students, functioning as an authoritative and engaged presence on campus;
- Overseeing and assisting tutors, assistants, administrative staff, and other staff in developing and implementing parent education programs;
- Assisting students with conflict resolution; and
- Overseeing enrollment to ensure every classroom is filled with missionally-aligned students.
- Models the mission and philosophy of Granite;
- Comprehends, embraces, and articulates classical Christian education philosophy and pedagogies to tutors, students, and parents and continues to grow in this understanding and commitment;
- Demonstrates a record of strong leadership skills for a collaborative environment, which balances the requirements of practical decision making with an emphasis placed on consensus, where appropriate;
- Appreciates and nurtures strengths in Granite while being open to new, innovative ideas that may lead to change;
- Demonstrates experience working with children as an educator and/or administrator;
- Uses strong public speaking and writing skills, and demonstrates the ability to build relationships with Granite students, employees and parents; and
- Has a minimum of a bachelor’s degree. Masters degree preferred, or strong relevant experience.