TITLE: Principal (elementary)
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
LOCATION: Detroit, MI
REPORTS TO: President
WHO WE ARE AS A DETROIT CHARTER SCHOOL
Cornerstone Schools is a Pillar of Education in Detroit. We serve more than 3,400 K-12 students across six schools. Our passion is to ensure that children succeed and lead fulfilling lives. Our teachers are preparing students to practice the habits and virtues of the three dimensions of a Complete Life in order to live a fulfilling life as a part of the unfolding of the American promise. As Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. taught us, a Complete Life is a life of length (to live for a purpose born), breadth (to be a person for others), and height (to know God).
OUR NAMING CONVENTION
Our Founders and Civil Rights Leaders took steps to fulfill the American Promise. Therefore, we name our schools after them: Jefferson-Douglass Academy (K-8), Washington-Parks Academy (K-8), Madison-Carver Academy (K-5), Adams-Young Elementary School (K-5), Adams-Young Middle School (6-8), and Lincoln-King High School (9-12).
OUR HISTORY AND OUR FUTURE
With a broad and beloved community of friends we have been doing our work in Detroit for more than 30 years. We seek to transition to classical charter schools that will help make the living of a Complete Life possible for ourselves, our students, faculty, staff, and families.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR RIGHT NOW
An experienced classical school leader who can transform one of our K-5 schools into a high quality classical school and teach our other Principals how to replicate such success.
WHY BE THIS PRINCIPAL AT CORNERSTONE RIGHT NOW?
- Join an excellent team in advancing a mission that is unlike any other public school in the country·
- Lead the successful transition of one school and help transform the whole system.
- Live out your calling to make a lasting impact on young hearts and minds.
- Help transform a precious community within Detroit.
WHAT WE OFFER
- A rare challenge in the heart of Detroit that can be the beginning of a larger change
- Safe quality facilities that are conducive to quality learning
- Competitive compensation and benefits
This Principal will be responsible to transform one of our K-5 schools into a successful classical charter school aligned with our mission and vision. The Principal will develop, implement, and manage all academic and administrative policies, procedures, and practices that promote student achievement, academic excellence, and student engagement as a classical charter school. This individual will work collaboratively with the school’s leadership team to develop and implement strategic plans and initiatives that support the growth and success of a classical charter school.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Provide leadership and vision for the school in all aspects of operations
- In collaboration with the Cornerstone leadership team, transition the school to a classical charter school utilizing effective change management practices
- Lead and evaluate faculty and staff, ensuring that they are meeting the school’s expectations for excellence in teaching and learning
- Develop and maintain a positive school culture that fosters student engagement and a sense of community among students, faculty, and families
- Ensure that the school is aligned with the school’s mission, and that all programs and initiatives support these objectives
- Work collaboratively with the school’s leadership team to develop and implement strategic plans and initiatives that support the school’s growth and success
- Support the design of classical education at Cornerstone, leveraging classical school models and Cornerstone’s history and mission
- Build an understanding of the complementary nature of the Complete Life and the American Promise for yourself and in turn for teachers, staff, students, and parents
- Build an understanding of our “Cornerstone Leadership Model” (Self-Aware Strategist, Creative Problem-Solver, Restorative Relationship-Builder, Collaborative Team-Member, Centered Soul, Courageous Role Model) for yourself and in turn for teachers, staff, and students
- Develop, implement, and manage academic and administrative policies and procedures that promote student achievement and academic excellence
- Ensure that the school is in compliance with all relevant laws, regulations, and accreditation requirements
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with parents, community members, and other stakeholders
- Under the direction of network leadership, the school’s budget, resources, and facilities to ensure that they are effectively and efficiently used to support student achievement and academic excellence
- Commitment to learn and pursue Cornerstone’s mission
- Desire and mindset to learn and grow as a person and professional
- Master's degree in classical education or related field
- At least five years of experience as a principal or other school leadership position; some or all of the experience in a classical school
- Strong knowledge of best practices and trends in classical education
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Ability to build positive relationships with staff, students, parents and others
- Ability to work collaboratively with others to achieve common goals
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Experience with budget management and resource allocation
- Knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, and accreditation requirements