Assistant Middle/High School Principal
Highlands Latin School Indianapolis is a private JK-12th grade classical Christian school operating on two campuses in Carmel, Indiana. Our East Campus is a 3-day program for the JK-4th elementary grades, and our West Campus is a 4-day program for 5-12th middle and high school grades.
The Assistant Principal is one of the lead members of the Principal’s administrative team and will involve a regular presence and interaction with the student body and parent community. He or she will assist with the planning, coordination, and supervision of the day to day operations of the school, along with planning and management of extracurricular programming, hiring and oversight of extracurricular staffing, maintaining student academic records, coordinating class schedules and standardized testing. The Assistant Middle/High School Principal will report to the Principal. This is a full-time salaried position with a 12-month work schedule.
- Serve as an administrative assistant to the Principal, supporting him/her with the administrative details as needed in the planning, coordination, and supervision of the day-to-day operations of the school office
- Promote and maintain a positive and effective school climate by ensuring that all interactions with staff, students, parents and the public at large are prompt, efficient, friendly and helpful
- Participate as a member of the Principal’s administrative team to advance programs and address problems in light of the school mission
- Assist the Principal in developing and executing parent meetings, school open houses and student orientation programs
- Maintain and implement school security and emergency procedures
Administration: General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare the master class schedule and room assignments for the beginning of the school year. Update schedules and room assignments throughout the year as needed.
- Supervise the grading and reporting process, maintain complete attendance and academic records on all students, provide appropriate statistical analysis of grades and major grading patterns to the Principal.
- Plan school events of an academic nature, including student award assemblies and parent/teacher conferences and student assemblies.
- Coordinate schedule and plan all standardized testing for IOWA, CLT, PSAT, SAT and NLE.
- Assist with student disciplinary issues in collaboration with the principal
- Extra-curricular programming oversight
- Appear routinely around the school and at many parent events
- Act as head of school in the absence of the principal
- Assist with before-school and after-school car line routines and procedures
- Ability to teach one class in a subject area
The Assistant Principal shall be a person who is well-organized, well-rounded, engaging, and who has the ability to facilitate growth and collaboration inside and outside of the classroom. Additionally, strong candidates will:
- Provide evidence of an ability and commitment to furthering the classical & Christian mission and vision of the school.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience and hold a college and or graduate degree.
- Show a demonstrated track record of success in teaching and leadership in a school setting.
Strong candidates will also embrace the school’s organization values:
- The tenets of a classical & Christian Latin centered, liberal arts education
- Excellence in teaching and learning
- Strong Christian faith and agreement with school’s faith statement, the Apostle’s Creed
- Community and partnership in the common pursuit of forming intelligent and virtuous people
- Hold the virtues we aim to teach our students: integrity, humility, gratitude, compassion, perseverance
Compensation, Benefits and Hiring:
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits offered for full time employment include health care stipend, paid vacation, personal days, paid holidays and tuition discount for children enrolled at HLS. All employees are required to pass a background check.
Applicants should submit the following information in a single email to Mrs. Judie Huston, Principal; email@example.com :
- Cover letter (Please tell us how you learned about Highlands Latin School Indianapolis and convey your salary requirements.)
- Statement of your educational philosophy and understanding of Classical education (800 words or less)
- Three professional or academic references that include an email address and phone number for each reference.